21 June 2011

father's day... pt. 2

this is what my husband woke up to on sunday morning...


waffles from scratch* (see recipe below, i use a hard-to-find traditional waffle iron, like my dad used when i was a kid, NOT a belgium waffle iron), warm syrup, iced coffee, fresh raspberries, the "good" china, cloth napkins... (not shown - the tv remote is on his chair).


we all had a nice breakfast together as a family. he opened his present - a HUGE bag of m & m's (a treat he likes to keep in the freezer to snack on at night). we try not to go crazy with the gift giving for every occasion - we've been together for so long and there are soooo many to celebrate (birthdays, anniversaries, christmas, valentine's day, mother's day, father's day, etc...).

now as much as i'm NOT daddy's little girl, that's exactly what our daughter is to my husband. he's mushy and spoils her and oh yeah, he doesn't ever want her to get married.

me: don't you want to walk her down the eisle?
him: no!
me: don't you want to dance with her at her wedding?
him: no!
me: don't you want grandkids? (ha! i've got him there!)
him: our son can have the kids... (yes, we only have one kid. no, i'm not pregnant. yes, we might end up with all daughters).

while i was pregnant, after i knew we were having a girl, we were watching "father of the bride". after a while he said: i don't like this movie.
me: what? why?
him: it's sad
me: why?
him: well, the daughter grows up and gets married
me: yeah, and?
him: she gets married and leaves her dad
me: i know, and?
him: i don't like that she leaves her dad

another time i was getting ready to go to work (i work a few nights a week at a restaurant) and he was asking me what movie he should watch with her that night...

him: i need to figure out a movie to watch tonight. like something good for a father to watch with his daughter.
me: sure, like "toy story" or something?
him: well, i was thinking like "sleeping with the enemy"
me: wait, what?
him: or "enough". you know, something that would make her never want to get married...

and you thought my toddler was a handful...

*waffles from scratch

ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
confectioners' sugar and fresh fruit or maple syrup

directions: 

in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. in a separate bowl, combine egg yolks, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. in a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form; gently fold into batter.
     

bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. top with confectioners' sugar and fruit or serve with syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment